Happy 112th birthday to Dr. Seuss! Here are a few of my favorite books and quotes in honor of his birthday. What are yours? Leave me a comment.
“Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!”
– Happy Birthday to You! (1959)
One of my favorites!
The royal magicians arrive chanting a rhyme that ends with “Our magic can do anything.” The king makes a wish to have something new fall form the sky and when he asks the magicians what they will make they speak one word together.
When the King asks what it will look like they reply:
“Won’t look like rain. Won’t look like snow.
Won’t look like fog. That’s all we know.
We just can’t tell you any more.
We’ve never made oobleck before.”
– Bartholomew and the Oobleck (1949)*
*Note: Look below for the Oobleck recipe to make at home!
A person’s a person, no matter how small
– Horton Hears a Who (1954)
Until neither the Plain nor the Star-Bellies knew whether this one was that one … or that one was this one or which one was what one … or what one was who.
– The Sneetches and Other Stories (1961)
The family will tell you, this is my all time favorite Dr. Seuss book. They wouldn’t be wrong.
UNLESS… someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s NOT.
– The Lorax (1971)
- 1 part water
- 1.5 to 2 parts cornstarch
- Small amount of food coloring (optional)
How To Make Oobleck
- Start with the water in a bowl and add the cornstarch a bit at a time.
- Keep stirring until it has a gooey consistency. You may want to use your hands.
- When the oobleck is just right, slowly add food coloring, if you want. This can be a challenge to get it mixed properly.
- Play with it.