Dear Dr. Seuss (or Theodor Seuss Geisel),
You have always been a part of my life.
I read your books to my kids when they were little.
I always learned something important from all your writing. I wanted to say thank you. And what better day, than today, on your Birthday!
It is really hard to pick my favorite books, but I will give it a try:
- Green Eggs and Ham
- The Cat in the Hat
- Horton Hears a Who!
- The Sneeches ( and their ‘stars on thars’)
- The Lorax
- Bartholomew and the Oobleck* (Oobleck recipe to follow)
- One fish two fish red fish blue fish
- Oh, the things you can think!
- Your Favorite Seuss
- Horton Hatches the Egg
- 1 cup water
- 1.5-2 cups cornstarch
- a few drops of food coloring – optional
- Pour water into a small bowl.
- Begin adding cornstarch to the water. You can stir with a spoon at first, but you’ll need to use your hand soon as the mixture thickens.
- Once you’ve added the initial 1.5 cups of cornstarch, add the remaining amount a little at a time. You may not need it all.
- You are looking for a consistency that is liquid and solid all at the same time.
If you find you’ve added too much cornstarch, add a little more water to thin it out.
I have heard a Who! and I have hopped on Pop. Here are some Seussian quotes that I like, how about you?
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
“A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
“And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)”
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.”
“Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
“I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant’s faithful, one hundred per cent!”
Thanks for the laughter, the lessons, and the fun, Dr.Seuss. Happy Birthday.
A loyal and long-time fan,